Visitors of Our Own Bodies
This poem captures how I experience my Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) , a condition that intertwines body and mind in a way that feels both alien and deeply familiar. But it's important to note that this is only my experience. Like all neurological conditions and disabilities, FND manifests differently for each person. There is no single story, no one-size-fits-all description. I would love for you to share your experiences and insights too. What do you think the public needs to understand about your condition? Let’s continue the conversation and raise awareness in a way that highlights both the struggles and the strength of living with these hidden disabilities and unseen challenges.
My own body I am a visitor,
Unseen currents sweeping my muscles,
Away to dance on tides unseen.
A possession by nerves,
Separated from reason.
Cogs do not click but crash,
They scream of collisions within.
I am whole yet torn apart.
In corners unexplored by light,
Functional but caught,
In my own ghostly marionette show.
My nerves are disobedient children,
Rebellious and untouched by my pleas.
Yet it this disharmony,
There is an echo of strength.
My skeleton an unreliable trellis.
Veins and muscles the unsure vines,
Still, I grow.
Admist these mismatched steps,
Find my rhythm,
Where rhythm isn't supposed to be,
I wear my disobedience with pride.
I have learned,
This functional neurological disorder is just,
Another beat in the music of being.
Comments
Post a Comment